Thursday, July 12, 2012

I Got Some 'Splainin' to Do . . .


Untitled,  50" x 40"

I'm still around in case you were wondering. Just been totally absorbed with a four-painting commission for a Texas University. They're large pieces (two 50"x40" and two 42"x42") with lots of figures and detail work, and they took over my life for the last few months. Did I mention there was lots of detail?

Above  is the first painting. The scene has 21 figures and nine thousand steps in case you were wondering. I painted this one first, because I figured it would be the biggest challenge to my sanity. But there's another one that was equally challenging in terms of hair-pulling detail; I'll get to it in another post.

A job of this magnitude can be tricky, especially when there's  a short timeline on top of multiple trips to meet with a committee and to get plenty of photo references. I was in the studio seven days a week for most of that time, sometimes till 8 or 9 at night. (Okay, it's true I don't start painting till around midday, after I've put in several hours with the business side of my career -- and other, uh, business.  Still.) 

AND there's a chance I may have emerged from the project as a total wino. But maybe that will turn out to  be a good thing. We'll see.

Anway, I DID emerge -- with most of my brain cells intact. So I'm celebrating. The paintings have been hung, and the reviews are all good. Doing the happy dance here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment